Sunday, December 19, 2010

Thread Rack Project

I inherited this thread rack from my late grandmother. Funny story actually... I had went to visit her and I think it was the last time I saw her before she passed away that she was aware and able to communicate. I mentioned that her thread rack was cute so she insisted I have it. It was almost like she knew she wouldn't see me again. We used to live down the road from her and spent our childhood riding our bikes up and down the road to visit. She had a big hand in my home-making skills. She used to have me help her make lap quilts for the elderly and shut-ins. She was the poster image grandmother in every way. I took the thread rack and noticed hanging on the bottom was a pin cushion I had made for her a loooooong time ago lol. I couldn't have been more than ten. I even embroidered a "G" for Grandma, haha. That brought back memories for sure.






My mother in law saw it and liked it so I thought it would be a fun project to make her a similar one. I have actually had most of the materials for over a year and have just now got around to it! I used the old one as a template to trace onto some scraps from our train table (post coming) and the paint from my bow holder project. I LOVE this color! It's called "Beach Toy" and I think it's Kiltz. Great color. For the initials, I Google searched monogram images and printed out a stencil. The butterflies are rub-on decals and I freehanded some scroll lines to tie it all together. 

Now I have to figure out how to wrap it up for Christmas...  Oh and my two yr old thought he would try walking on it so two of the little prongs are broke off. oops...


No comments:

Post a Comment